- 1 cup of rice flour.
- 8 cups of water (room temperature).
- 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar.
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon of ground anise.
- 1 tablespoon of ground fennel.
- 1 tablespoon of ground caraway ("karawia").
- For garnish: chopped almonds, chopped or whole walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts (all are optional).
- Place all ingredients in a pot and stir for 5 minutes over low heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to a boil and stir constantly until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth (for an approximate duration of 25 minutes).
- Pour into bowls and leave to cool before covering and placing in the refrigerator.
- To prepare the garnish: Soak ahead each type of garnish in a separate bowl of water and place in the fridge.
- Drain them just before serving to decorate bowls.
- Tip: walnuts, almonds, pistachios and pine nuts can be stored for several days in the refrigerator provided to change the water regularly.