Warak Arish bi Zeit – Stuffed Meatless Vines Leaves
- ½ kg of fresh vine leaves or in brine.
- 2 potatoes.
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stuffing: diced tomatoes, chopped parsley, chopped onion, ground mint, rice (same ingredients as taboule but with rice instead of bulgur).
- Soak fresh vine leaves for 5 minutes in boiling water then drain them and put aside. As for vine leaves in brine you simply need to drain them.
- Stuffing vine leaves: Place the leaf upside-down and spread a small spoon of stuffing in the middle. Flip both edges over the stuffing then roll.
- Place in the bottom of the cooking pot a row of round-shaped potatoes then gently place over them the stuffed vine leaves to form a tight circle.
- Pour olive oil over the surface, cover with water, then place a plate upside-down to squeeze them well while cooking.
- Cover and bring to a boil then cook over low heat for about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Turn off the heat once vine leaves are tender and rice is cooked inside them.
- Let cool then unmold and serve cold with slices of lemon.